Charles Holmes Eames
Eames Hall was named after Charles Holmes Eames who led Lowell Textile School for forty years, first serving as principle of the school and then president as it transitioned to Lowell Textile Institute.
Born in Andover, Massachusetts, in 1875, Charles Holmes Eames graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1897 as an Electrical Engineer. After working as a superintendent for the Light, Heat & Power Co. of Lowell and as an engineer for Stone & Webster, electrical engineers in Boston, Eames took a position as an instructor of mathematics and electrical engineering at the Lowell Textile School. Politically well-connected, Eames was promoted to Principal of the school in 1905 and then President from 1918-1945. He led the school in 1928 when the name was changed from Lowell Textile School to Lowell Textile Institute (LTI).
The new name reflected the efforts of the Board of Trustees to expand, adding more programs and faculty members, increasing admission standards, and attracting more students. Soon, students were coming from throughout New England, New York, Pennsylvania, and as far away as China and Ecuador to study.
Three years after the retirement of Charles Eames, the campus of LTI expanded for the first time since it established itself on the north side of the Merrimack River in 1903. The expansion began with the buildig of the campus's first dormitory, named in honor of the school's recently retired president.